Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Huckabee Panders To The Base: Throw These People Out! Not So Says Huck


It had to happen. One of the things I really liked about Mike Huckabee was his insistance that you couldn't hurt children just because their parents were illegal.

I know, I know, I have heard the stories about the illegals who come here 8.5 months into gestation just to have their offspring born on American soil, earning the kid U.S. citizenship. So be it. I understood Huckabee to stand for these kids.

Not any more.

Andrew Sullivan, who linked me to the Washington Times, which published this story, has said that Huckabee's office has issued the following statement:

I do not support an amendment to the constitution that would prevent children born in the U.S. to illegal aliens from automatically becoming American citizens. I have no intention of supporting a constitutional amendment to deny birthright citizenship.

No comments: