Monday, August 13, 2007

Found: The Other Reason


In an earlier posting, I asked what other reason could there be for Representative Blunt making a statement on the senseless shootings in Neosho. I think I answered my own question.

The elephant in the room is this: Why are the Blunts doing this? Roy B. gets by with a prepared statement, Little Matt goes there in person. Is it compassion? Is it for the victims? Does a shooting at a church in Neosho deserve more compassion than, oh I don't know, risking the lives of thousands of Missourians by taking away their access to health care or voting to fund an unwarranted war in Irag where 3,000 or more Americans have died? Yes? No? Am I comparing apples to oranges? Or is there a disconnect in their actions?

This is unfair to the Blunts. They are leaders in our state and they obviously have some compassion for the victims of this senseless and horrible tragedy in Neosho, at least I hope they do. I just wish....

In this bitterly divided country (read Andrew Sullivan's post on Karl Rove), the only thing we have that unites us is tragedy and even that is fleeting.

No comments: