Saturday, July 21, 2007

Things I Would Not Know If I Did Not Read The Springfield News-Leader


1. How to steal catalytic converters off of automobiles.
2. How to steal millions from the city.

NO ARTICLES WERE PURCHASED IN THE WRITING OF THIS POST.

I recall reading a story several weeks ago on the increased theft of catalytic converters. While reading the paper that morning, I commented to my wife that the article detailed how to steal a converter (get a sawzall).

In researching the SNL website site (Ozark Snow)preparing for writing this post (What? You thought I just made this stuff up?), I found the headline and dates of three articles relating to catalytic converters.

What I further found was enlightening. I pay $182.00 a year to read the Springfield News-Leader. My wife makes me throw the paper away when we are done reading it, effectively negating any opportunity I might have to cull articles from past issues.

I have been going to the Library and using their microfilm files to glean articles and interesting tidbits from the SNL, but that involves heading south to Payless Cashways and passing through the dreaded Campbell/Republic Road/James River Slow-Way/Git N Go intersection. I would rather have my teeth pulled than go through that mass of engineering ingenuity.

I thought it would be much easier to research the SNL archives from the ease and comfort of my computer chair.

HOLY MOLY! THESE GUYS CHARGE BIG BUCKS TO LOOK AT THEIR ARCHIVES!
ALMOST TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A ONE YEAR PASS!

Of course, in the interest of full disclosure, I should note that purchasing a one year pass for $1995.00, would allow the purchaser to look at 1,000 articles.

I can understand paying for obituaries and wedding announcements. Paying for archived articles I don't understand.

Maybe I'll google it and see if that works.

It worked.

I googled Springfield MO and catalytic converters and came up with more articles than the SNL had listed in their archives. And, as of now, there is no charge to use google.

Randy Turner's blog has an interesting take on newspapers and revenue generating schemes.

No comments: