Saturday, May 14, 2011

I don't just pick the low hanging fruit: Box Car Bowtie

See, I don't just pick the low hanging fruit.

Last month my wife and I took a trip to Eureka Springs, Arkansas.


I just had our Airstream buffed out and polished. I wanted to see if polishing it went down the road any faster. I couldn't tell but I did set the woods on fire.


In the railyard just east of town, off highway 23, I saw this sitting on the tracks next to some old boxcars.

It was a hard shot to take, we were shooting from the highway through brush. But you get the idea.

I know it's a Chevrolet, probably 1949? Don't know who did the conversion but it sure looks nice!


I sent that text and a copy of that photo to Longrooffan and Dan Stohl over at Hemmings Blog. He's a guy who, like my brothers and myself, likes unusual vehicles and other neat automotive stuff.

Dan used the photo in the May 13, 2011 Hemmings Motor News Blog: Boxcar Bowtie

Jim Lee, he of the Lee clan, recently took a trip to Eureka Springs, Arkansas, where he spotted this railcar, most likely an inspection and service unit that’s been long since retired, just east of town off Route 23. From the remaining trim, we can see that it was converted from a 1951 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe four-door station wagon, the most expensive Chevrolet in the lineup that year.

3 comments:

Timeshare Jake said...

I was down there last week. Drove by the tracks, but didn't see that.

Anonymous said...

It's a Mary Kay pink, rail-car thingy won in a promotion for selling Mary Kay stuff.

Anonymous said...

Bus, that long roof has been there for as long as I have been back in the Ozarks. Saw it there back in 90 when we went to ES for a weekend. But then I didn't have a camera, oh weelllllllll

tomleemo