Monday, September 10, 2007

New Ministry: Blogging

I first noticed it with Chatter's brother's blog: The Shepherd's Tale. This is a nice, easy going blog that reads like something out of days gone by. It is not preachy nor does it intend to be preachy. IMO, it is simply a chronicle of the days of a country preacher.
I like country preachers. Like Mother Theresa, they are real people. Gentle Whisper falls into this category, almost. She joined the army as a Chaplain. Good for her!
Then things changed. All of a sudden there were a whole bunch of new blogs in the Springfield area that are mentioning church.
The Voice of Truth was the first one I noticed. I get messages from these new bloggers, always with some sort of lesson imbedded and ending with a question that directs the answer. An example is, Do you still beat your wife?.
I have no problem with bible study or church or religion. In fact, a couple of months ago I was in the McDonald's on West Sunshine next to Starbucks. It was early afternoon.
A metro type guy was harassing the counter clerk over a cup, I don't remember it all but I do remember thinking, "give it a break guy, the poor kid is just trying to do the job." The clerk finally gave him a new cup or something. He said "god bless" as he walked away.
After I got my dollar menu food, I walked over to fill up my cup of pop. I saw the dude sitting in the booth back by the restrooms with about five or six young men, high schoolers I'd guess.
One metro wannabe was also filling up his cup of pop and talked across me to another HS kid, inviting him to the back table for bible study. "If you really love Jesus, you'll come to the bible study." The other HS kid stammered something and left.

If I want to be witnessed to, I'll go to church. Like that old Ozarks saying, "I can't hear what you are saying because your actions keep getting in the way."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a situation I encountered a few years ago at a former job. A "gentleman" was trying to get me to do something for him that was clearly against the policies set up by my employer. I gently explained the situation and offered him several options for getting what he wanted, but he continued to berate me, feeling I should go against my training to give him whatever he wanted. In the course of the conversation I found out he was employed by the local Council of Churches. Everytime I read a message in the media from the Council of Churches, I thought of this man, and it colored every comment that came from that organization. Pity.

brent said...

Wow, I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get called out on either side.

Aren't we all trying to live life the best we can? I'm sure you've had your cup incidences. Why not be a neighbor and tell the guy in a way he can recieve it - you know - your own sharing of the gospel. Think of the impact, a teachable moment.

http://truewisdomblog.blogspot.com/2006/03/underlying-messages.html

b

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm 'almost' not preachy! ... or was that 'almost' Mother Teresa. Nope probably the first one. Actually, lately I'm 'almost' not blogging. And when I do write it's just to say, I MISS MY MAN! But never, NEVER have I written, "If you really love Jesus you'd read my blog." [Because of course, that goes without saying...] ;)

Thanks for the link.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. It's always nice to know that someone is reading your blog...even if the posts are few and far between. LOL. I just posted some new stuff on happenings in our lives, to keep people up to date.

And WHY in the world would anyone say "If you love Jesus you'd read my blog?" Wow. That is a sad commentary on some who are in the blogging world today...they are more in to it for themselves than for the Lord. Thanks for "settin' them straight".

God bless!