Sunday, May 13, 2007

Another fine mess you got us into, Ollie! $104 to fill up the Suburban!

Gasoline in Springfield is $3.09 a gallon yesterday. Pundits say that the American gas user will tolerate this because of past history of spikes in gas prices before the summer and major holidays. We get used to it.

WE will tolerate the higher gas prices until it becomes intolerable. When will it become intolerable? I don't know. But I do know that gas prices are regressive, they affect lower income people much more than higher economic status folks.

We are more apt to drive less fuel efficient vehicles and to buy fuel in smaller increments. It is like an ATM, if I withdraw ten bucks from a generic atm and it costs me one dollar from the atm and one dollar from my bank, that ten bucks cost me 12 bucks. If I withdraw 100 bucks, same situation, that 100 bucks costs me 102 bucks. The guy who has less money always gets it in the end.

My take is people moan and complain about gas prices but we still drive our suburbans and suvs and guzzlers.

Something's happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.....

No comments: