Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tele-townhall: When you are afraid to face the voters in person

In years past, I would listen in to Roy Blunt's teletown hall and all the questions he answered were 'softball questions'. One time, even as Roy was speaking on the telephone to the tele-townhall listeners, he was also "twittering" at the same time.

Dang, can that guy multi-task!

Roy has called me before to ask my opinions about matters and affairs. I told him I felt knowledgeable enough to talk about matters, but I was uncomfortable talking about affairs. I said what he does in his private life is his own business, as long as it doesn't affect me.

Roy's boy, Matt, also called me several times, asking if I had any questions to ask him about him, Missouri, or just about anything that came to mind.

Last week, Billy Long conducted a tele-townhall. Was it a wasted hour? All the questions he answered were 'softball questions'.

Hot diggity dog!

Today, the Kansas City Star printed this letter: Hartzler shielded


About 8 o’clock one night I received a phone invitation to participate in a live teleconference in which I could ask U.S. Rep. Vicky Hartzler a question about any concerns. I indicated my interest and was told that I would be called on soon. After a half-dozen or more questions from some very supportive participants, I was asked for my name and question.

“I have to tell you my question before I can talk to Hartzler?” I asked. The reply was a firm yes. So I gave her my question:

“Why does Hartzler rail against government intrusion into our lives and government spending when her family has received thousands of dollars in federal farm subsidies? Isn’t that a bit hypocritical?”

I then heard, “He wants to talk to you about your farm subsidies.” Another voice, I assume Hartzler’s, replied, “I’ll deal with that later. Go to the next caller.”

My question opportunity disappeared.

If this happens again, I will have an innocent question ready, and when we go live, I’ll fire my zinger.

Frankly, I don’t blame the Hartzler camp. I wouldn’t let me on their program either.

Carl B. Foster Warrensburg, Mo

No comments: