Monday, December 15, 2008

37% Of American Citizens Incapable of Identifying Their Home Country On A Map of the United States


Washington, D.C. -- According to a Gallup/Harris poll released Monday, a full 37 percent of American citizens are incapable of identifying their home country on a map of the United States.

Stuart Weiss, senior sociology professor at Boston College, said although these findings may be surprising to some, they're by no means atypical.

"The sentiment of many Americans is that there's little intrinsic value in studying a map of a place you're already at," noted Weiss. "It'd be like driving to Graceland and then asking for directions once you've arrived. Not much point."

Despite Americans' seemingly underdeveloped sense of their own geography, history and domestic policy, they did score high points on the issue of patriotism, calling America "the greatest country in the world" (47 percent), "the best state of all the Unites States" (31 percent), and "a place to definitely explore when I finally get my passport" (22 percent).

I didn't believe the results of this poll when I first read the report. But, since then it has been posted on the internet and as I have heard spoken so many times by area residents: "I voted for you" and "No, really, I read it on the internets."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same poll I saw, but did you see the most shocking results. 99.9% of individuals living in red states (read MO.) thought that Noah's ark remains are somewhere around Greers Ferry Lake in Arkansas. Also, 33% of people living in Greene County name Jason from Life of Jason as one of the 10 most important in a 10 block area in midtown Springfield. To me...more important than Time's Person, Place, Or Thing of the Year.....

Jeremy D. Young said...

It may have been updated since you looked at it, but it now notes that the article is satire.

I apologize if your article is also satire :P

Pretty funny article though. The sad thing is that I almost believed it to be true while reading your post.

Anonymous said...

HAH! The editor had to note that the post was satire....which means that an awful lot of people thought it was true!

I mean, it was on the internets!

PS--PARENTS! DO NOT BUY YOUR CHILDREN THESE TOYS! THEY ARE DANGEROUS AND THE LIBERAL MEDIA WON'T TELL US ABOUT THEM!