Saturday, March 01, 2008

Tag, You're It!

I've been tagged with a literary meme by Corner of the Sky.
Here is what you have to do:
1. look up page 123 in the nearest book
2. look for the fifth sentence
3. then post the three sentences that follow that fifth sentence on page 123.The nearest book to me is a little book of verse first published in 1934 that doesn't have but 76 pages. Ozark Lyrics, The Song Poems of the Ozarks by Mary Elizabeth Mahnkey. This song poem is in her book. I like it:

A Cabin In The Ozarks, by Mary Elizabeth Mahnkey

A cabin in the Ozarks
Is the happiest place I know
When the frogs begin their song
And March winds start to blow.
When the dogwood trees are shining
On the hills in robes of white,
Then I hunt my fishing tackle
For 'tis now the bluegills bite.

A cabin in the Ozarks
In the summer's dreamy haze
Is where I love to linger,
Loitering through the quiet days.
Now the cornfields are enticing
All the squirrels for miles around,
And I take my old gun with me
Where the frisky folks are found.

When the autumn winds are shifting
And the hills in glory glow,
And the wild ducks start their drifting
And the foxhounds chanting go.
Wild grapes, nuts, pawpaws, persimmons
Hang in Nature's festal hall.
O, a cabin in the Ozarks
Is the finest in the fall.

This cabin in the Ozarks
Has a fireplace deep and wide,
A pot a-stewing on the hearth
And my old dog by my side.
I can see a big wild turkey
In a white oak on the hlil
Where the frosty ridge is sparkling
In the moonlight, cold and still.

And I think I'll stop my wanderings
For this place that I have found,
In the blue-hazed Ozark Mountains
Is just right, the whole year 'round.Jason, Bright Yellow Gun, I tag you. MH thanks for tagging me, I enjoyed the exercise!

No comments: