Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Build Springfield

Last night the City Academy went on a tour of Springfield Public Works Department and related areas: the Erie Sinkhole, Some storm water sewer renovation, the sewer treatment plant and we got close to the yard waste recycling yard out by the sewer plant. It was interesting. We also got a close up of the traffic management system control center.

We took the tour in a Fisk provided bus. I hope I never have to do that again. The leg room wasn't and the seats were not designed for those who shop at the big and tall shops. It was uncomfortable. I like to think the seats in the bus, Plunge, are a lot more comfortable. If not, at least I hope they bring back pleasant memories of riding a school bus. One other thing, on the Bus, Plunge, the windows open.

But riding around in the bus, I saw things I don't see as I drive around Springfield. Things like all the trash in Jordan Creek between Mount Vernon and Grand. How different the houses on Division are from houses in my neighborhood which is different from Parkcrest or Ravenwood.

Riding in the bus last night, I got a flavor of how the city grew.

Which brings to mind this post from late 2006. Other than the library's site, does anyone know of a website that chronicles Springfield such as the build St. Louis site does?Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Build Springfield

Reading this morning's paper about the Heer's building lead me on multi tour of the web's documentation of old buildings, specifically St. Louis.

I tried to find information about the developers vying for the redevelopment of the Heer's building: McGowan, Gill of St. Louis and Magers of Springfield.

I ended up at this site

I grew up in St. Louis, my family moved to Springfield in the early 1960's. My grandfather worked for ACF, American Car and Foundry. This company built railroad cars.

I can remember riding downtown with him in the early 1950's in his 1947 Chevrolet when he had to work on Saturdays. This was pre-computers and all his work with figures was done with pencil and paper.

I, and sometimes my brothers, would walk around the building, looking at the railroad cars and trucks parked downtown.

These are pleasant memories.

No comments: