Monday, June 15, 2009

Vandals Attack The Bus Plunge


Vandals attacked the Bus Plunge and broke off the lighted "Flying Lady" hood ornament.

The attack occurred sometime this weekend.

Why would someone do this? Why would someone knowingly destroy another person's property?

I came into possession of the hood ornament when I bought this Cushman Truckster. You can see the "Flying Lady" gracing the front of the Truckster.When I sold the Truckster, I put the hood ornament on the Bus. This is the only picture I could find of the bus with hood ornament intact.

I did find an ornament like the one vandals broke off of the bus. It is on ebay.My wife and I find joy in little things: a concrete yard animal, a porch swing, even a lighted hood ornament on an antique bus. I can't understand why someone would want to destroy something so simple. I can tell from the remnants left on the hood of the bus that the vandals broke the ornament taking it off. They also dented the hood.

Oh well, maybe they (the vandals) needed the ornament more than we did. I am trying to maintain a positive outlook on this whole affair, but it ain't easy.

A couple of months ago I was sitting in the bus cleaning up after the St. Pat's day parade when I saw three boys walking down New street. I sat back and watched them. In front of the neighbor's house, they stopped and lit a joint. I mean these kids couldn't have been more than 14 or 15.

As they walked down the street, one of them came up and tried to open the driver's window of the bus. I was sitting in the driver's seat, so I openned the window and said something like, "Hey, what's up" or " How you doing?" I don't remember but I know I scared them.

A while later I found someone had shot a BB gun at the rear window and cracked it.
This isn't life or death issues, no one is hurt, no one went to jail. I just wish that people would leave our stuff alone. I won't bother your stuff, you don't bother mine.

5 comments:

admin said...

That is a great hood ornament. In my day, it was common for the teens to go hood ornament shopping. They would steal them and put them on their key rings (imagine that) and carry them around at school.

It was all very dangerous and gave them status.

Sorry it happened to you. Why can't they at least pick some really sad old bastard to do it to instead of nice folk?

longrooffan said...

What a real bummer. Maybe you could get your Rockaway neighbor's dog and chain it to the bumper of that cool ole Bus.

dirtsister said...

Dude, so sorry about the damage. Hope the vandals don't come back and kidnap your yard gnomes, you know I love those things.

Lil Jim said...

I think you should put up a sign that your neighbor has guns and is a light sleeper with a itchy trigger finger...

d5thouta5 said...

these days
we can fix your bad eye sight...
we can fix your bad hip....
we can fix your bad knee....
we can fix your bad hearing...
we can grow your hair back...
we can get you an overnight tan...
we can fix your traffic ticket...
we can ever get you a woody
that last for four hours....

but...
we still can't fix stupid....

sorry for the loss you suffered...
it is not the material lost....
but the innocence lost....