Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Romney Equates Military Service With Driving A Winnebago Across Iowa

I was a combat medic in the army. This is a picture of me taken in Germany in 1972 while on manuvers.
My older brother was an infantry captain in the army. This is a picture of him taken in Vietnam in 1970. He is the soldier on the stretcher. The guy with the rope on his shoulder holding the stretcher was killed shortly after this photo was taken.

I don't have any photos of my little brother from this time period, he was busy serving as a naval medical corpsman on a nuclear submarine somewhere under the Pacific Ocean.


This is a picture of three of the five Romney brothers. The picture was taken in Iowa in 2007. They were excited about seeing some corn close up.

Their Daddy,Mitt Romney, said today in Bettendorf, Iowa: "It’s remarkable how we can show our support for our nation and one of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping to get me elected, because they think I’d be a great president. My son, Josh, bought the family Winnebago and has visited 99 counties, most of them with his three kids and his wife. And I respect that and respect all of those in the way they serve this great country."

Mitt Romney: Unlike your sons, I don't think you'd be a great president. I also think you were wrong when you did this and this.
And I hope for God's sake you are not thinking of making Baby Boy Blunt your VP.

Milt Romney:I guess those car trips with the dog stapped to the top of the station wagon and no bathroom breaks really affected your critical thinking skills. And I bitterly resent your comparing my brother's and my service to our nation, to include spilling our blood, to driving a Winnebago across Iowa or stuffing envelopes in Ames or short-sheeting in a motel.

Mitt Romney: Do you realize you have disparaged everyone who has ever worn the uniform of the United States of America?

Romney's campaign says his remarks were taken out of context.

2 comments:

Chad K. said...

It goes to show the detachment of our politicians to the "average" American.

Our sons and daughters go off to fight wars that, honestly, we might not be 100% in support of.

Meanwhile, the politicians who are so vehemently advocating the war either claim service they did not perform (deferments, NG non-deployments, etc) or declare that their political aspiration-inspired service is just as patriotic as those young, brave troops spilling their blood on foreign soil.

I'm not a Democrat lover, but Romney is pretty much the poster child for my dislike of the Repubs.

Anonymous said...

Thanks I'm glad I'm not alone in my thinking. I am sending this page to my brother-in-law who served in 69-70. I served in 80-84 and I don't remember it being a "winnabago" ride.