Tuesday, August 14, 2007

News-Leader Featured in National Political Blog


I was surfing the web this morning, reading the political blogs about Karl Rove's resignation. One website, Politico.com has a posting about the best of Karl Rove. In this posting we have the opportunity to see a Dan Rather / Karl Rove interaction from 1972 during an interview with CREEP.

But the most amazing thing was about halfway through the story, was the banner displayed above.

"Democrats stand for little or nothing except for mere obstructionism." Springfield News-Leader 2006.

That's it, not a clue as to the five Ws: who, what, where, when, why. I suspect it might be a quote from Rove as later in the article another banner headling says

Pretty much the same thing and it is attributed as a Rove quote in the description of the jpeg as is the quote from the News-Leader.

I wonder if the writer of this blog, the politico.com, has a Springfield connection.
I am going to email him and try to find out. I will keep you posted.

The blog posting was written by the Politico staff. I found an email address for David Kuhn, one of the staff members, and emailed him the following:
David,
In the posting, "The Best of Karl Rove", written by Politico staff, there is a quote from the Springfield News-Leader: "Democrats stand for little or nothing except for mere obstructionism." Springfield News-Leader 2006.
I live in Springfield and I write a blog (http://bus-plunge.blogspot.com).
I would like to contact the writer of this piece to find out how the News-Leader quote was selected. Does one of your staffer have a Springfield connection?
I was pleasantly surprised to see the SN-L quote and I emailed it to our editorial page editor, Tony Messenger
Could you please forward this message to the appropriate person and get back to me.
Thank you.


I will keep you posted.

The quote came from a Gannett News Service column by Chuck Raasch. It wasn’t unique to the News-Leader. It was a syndicated column. Here is the link. The highlighted quote is near the end of the article, which was published on 05.18.2006.

No comments: