Monday, January 07, 2008

Will Ethanol Mess Up Your Chainsaw or Weedeater Motor?


I got a 1985 Chevrolet Pickup, 3/4 ton, 2WD, 350 motor and automatic transmission. It has a little over 59,000 miles on it. And it doesn't run worth a darn on ethanol blend gasoline. It won't pull a trailer on ethanol blend gasoline, you would think the engine was self-destructing.

Governor Blunt mandated all gas stations to sell 10% ethanol blend gasoline. My truck doesn't run worth a darn on ethanol....severer valve chatter, dieseling, no power, pinging. I know I can't be the only one with this problem.

And what about all those engines that you mix the oil and gas? Weedeaters, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, chainsaws.....I haven't had good luck running ethanol in those motors either.

Corn is used to make ethanol. Using an ethanol blend supposedly makes gasoline cheaper (I think nothing makes gasoline cheaper). The more corn that goes into ethanol, the less corn that goes into the food supply, raising the production cost of food. Dang, they get us coming and going.

I lent this truck to my brother-in-law this fall to haul some trailers down South. I forgot to tell him not to put ethanol in the truck. He called me up and said the truck was running horrible, he didn't think he would make it to Greenbrier. I told him, oh, I forgot to tell you.....

And that ethanol plant someone is wanting to put in Rogersville? What will that do to the water supply? BTW, nice story in today's SN-L about our water treatment plant.. Anyone else notice the postive stories coming out from City Utilities after their apology?

2 comments:

The Lorax said...

Unfortunately, it's going to be one of those things were we get a monstrous smack across the face when dawn breaks and ethanol is suddenly NOT the answer.

In the meantime, read up.

James River Basin Partnership has a great web-source page for all.

Jason said...

My car still runs decently but I've lost 6-7 m.p.g. since the switch.