Monday, November 15, 2010

I don’t run to a microphone every time one’s offered and I don’t jump in front of a camera every time one’s offered.

Rep.-elect Billy Long (R-MO) speaks to the media prior to a new member orientation November 15, 2010 on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. (Getty Images)

Before the election, Billy told Nick Reed on KSFG radio "I don’t run to a microphone every time one’s offered and I don’t jump in front of a camera every time one’s offered.." He said that shortly before he said, "I’m not gonna let Obama, Pelosi and Reid cram things down my throat."

In an interview with the SN-L's Corey deVera, Long said, "I don't run to a microphone every time it's offered, I don't run to a TV camera every time it's offered."

So this evening, as I was driving down Kearney Street, listening to All Things Considered on NPR, I dang near spit out my buck double from Burger King!

Billy Long on NPR! Rehashing the same tale he told earlier to C-SPAN, the Daily Caller, Fox News and gosh dang it, who knows who else.
He said this to the Philadelphia Inquirer:

"There are a lot of things you have to go to school on," said Rep.-elect Billy Long, Republican of Missouri, who is an auctioneer and real-estate broker. Conflict of interest rules, he said, will require him to liquidate his auction firm.

But he has "spent the last 55 years learning" how to be a congressman, Long said. He said he'll work to starve President Obama's health-care overhaul of funding and then repeal it, and wants to slash spending.

"You remember that old Barbara Mandrell song 'I was country before country was cool?'" Long said. "We've been tea partying in the seventh district of Missouri before the tea party was cool. We believe in smaller government, lower taxes and sticking to the constitution."
No surprise about his auction firm, he knew that last December, according to what he told the SBJ--
They make you liquidate your business once you get elected, if it's a fiduciary business. Real estate auctions are considered a fiduciary business.

I've just got good people here who have been with me a long time, and they're carrying the water on running the business.

How will your experience translate to politics?

I'm a salesman. I think that's what you need - somebody who has a little sales ability and can negotiate and talk to people and explain to them that we don't have a printing press that can just keep cranking out money that our kids are going to have to pay for. "
Rep.-elect Billy Long, R-Mo., talks with the media on Capitol Hill in Washington, Monday, Nov. 15, 2010, during Congressional freshmen orientation. AP Photo 11.15.2010 (Look at this photo of our congressman,you know he's loving it! And I ain't talking about the McDonald's he had for breakfast)

Listen to Billy on NPR at about 1:35. From the transcript:
SEABROOK: Congressman-elect Billy Long says his district in Missouri was Tea Party before Tea Party was cool, and it's great that the rest of the country is catching up with them.

Mr. BILLY LONG (Representative-elect, Republican, Missouri): And if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. And if we keep doing the way things have been done in Washington, you know, how can we expect anything different?


So, does this mean that Billy ain't gonna vote for Boehner for Speaker?

No comments: