Saturday, August 15, 2009

Don't Shred Those "Cash For Clunkers" Just Yet....

I have been thinking about opening a recycled auto parts dismantling/recycling center.

I'll save all those cash for clunkers clunkers from being shredded and shipped to China and coming back to us as fence posts or toasters.

You never know when you might need a door handle for a 1992 Ford Explorer.

What with a new Mercedes E Class costing over $48,000 for a base level model, I am sure there are many citizens who want to avoid the high cost of car payments, insurance, personal property taxes, sales tax, etc, and keep their older cars on the road a few more years.

I'll be helping the less fortunate in our community by giving them the opportunity to obtain low cost, recycled auto parts.

Since I can only store so many cars on my corner lot before I run out of room, and the demand for these 1992 Ford Explorer parts (and other models) will be high, I suggest that we look into using non-productive land and vacant lots for the storage of these vehicles.

Why, I may even let purchasers buy shares in cars and let them pull the parts themselves. See, it will work like this: You own, or want to own, a 1992 Ford Explorer. I have one, or better yet, I have access to one (having access to one is better than actually having one because you don't have to buy it until you actually have a demand for one-sort of like Just In Time manufacturing). You buy a portion of the rights to pull parts from the Explorer and, with a small additional fee and a tool deposit, come over to the formerly non-productive or vacant lot where we store the cars, and pull the part you need.

I haven't quite worked out how we will police these areas, I mean we wouldn't want non-shareholders coming in in the middle of the night and taking parts off of cars without permission. And animals, squirrels mainly, I am not sure how we will keep the squirrels from nesting in the seats and upholstery. Maybe we'll get a dog or put up a big fence?Nay-sayers may call it a junk yard and complain about oil and antifreeze and transmission fluid seeping into the ground. We look at it as recycling and saving the environment by allowing those less fortunate to have the opportunity to preserve their autos and, as a side benefit, keeping the weeds down.

2 comments:

longrooffan said...

There are many problems associated with the CARS program, as has been hotly debated on many of the automotive blogs I follow.

However, the one that strikes closest to home, my granite installer is looking for a $1,000 car and can't find one!

The CDM said...

I say you stole the idea from a longroof wingnut from Daytona.